- EUROJOHNBBALL TALKS TO SEKOU SMITH HANG TIME ON NBA.COM EPISODE 172
- FIBA 2014 WORLD CUP PREVIEW - PREDICTIONS OF TOP 16 & EURO PLAYER VID
- NBA PLAYERS IN 2014 FIBA WORLD CUP & PLAYERS WITH NBA RIGHTS HELD
- LAST LOSS FOR TEAM USA NBA STARS VS GREECE 2006 WC SEMIS
- TEAM USA & COACH K SCOUTING IN 2006 LOSS - IT WAS ALL GREEK NUMBERS
- NATURALIZED CITIZEN RULE A JOKE - TEAMS MIGHT AS WELL GRAB DAMIAN LILLARD
- HOW CAN NATIONS STICK CHEST OUT IN VICTORY WHEN AMERICANS LEAD
- PLAYERS NEED HERITAGE TO A NATION - AT LEAST NICK CALATHES IS GREEK
- CHARLES BARKLEY, FRAN FRASCHILLA, BRIAN MAHONEY PICK SPAIN TO WIN
- SERBIANS - BEST NBA FANS NEVER SAW DEJAN BODIROGA - MILOS - VS NBA - SPAIN
- SERBIAN 2014 FINALS - BOGDAN BOGDANOVIC 30.7 PPG IN PARTIZAN WIN
- COACH A. DJORDJEVIC - VS USA 1996 GOLD MEDAL GAME - 41 PTS GAME
- FIBA WORLD CUP GOLD MEDAL GAME FINAL - SEPT. 14th
- USA NATION 314 MILLION DESTROYS SMALLER NATIONS WIN GOLD LIKE IT SHOULD
1. USA 129 SERBIA 92 - The 2002 World Championship of Basketball was held in the USA, in Indianapolis, but most NBA fans in the States, knew little about the event and could care less about a summer event, that is in the heat of major league baseball playoff picture and during the same time as the start of NFL football, which with gambling incentives to fans, has now become KING in the USA sports. The NBA put a squad together coached by George Karl, led by Reggie Miller, Paul Pierce and Baron Davis but just like the USA fans that could care less about the event in the USA, the players that USA basketball picked to represent the NBA and the nation, thought they could just show up and win by 30 to 40 points over smaller nations against players that did not compete in the NBA. USA started out with a 50 point win over Algeria and were 5-0 until they faced Manu Ginobili, Andres Nocioni and Fabricio Oberto and Argentina, as they lost 87-80 and then lost to Yugoslavia with Peja Stojakovic, Vlade Divac and Dejan Bodiroga 81-78 and then ended the event losing to Spain 81-75 led by Juan Carlos Navarro 26 points and Pau Gasol 19 points and finished 6-3 and the NBA stars took home 6th place.
The team NBA USA losses happened again at the Athens, Greece 2004 Olympics, as the team coached by Larry Brown and led by Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson, Stephon Marbury and younger players LeBron James, D Wade and Carmelo Anthony lost to the tiny 3 million population of Puerto Rico, 3 million poulation of Lithuania and then 41 million population of Argentina in the knock-out round. The one thing each of those three teams had that beat USA was a go to guard, that was not scared of the NBA All-Star USA squad, Carlos Arroyo, Sarunas Jasikevicius and Manu Ginobili all played to win and not in AWE of the NBA players.
The same result happened to team USA and new coach Mike Krzyzewski at the 2006 FIBA world cup Semis versus Greece, as the scouting on the Greek squad was horrible, as Coach K called Vassilis Spanoulis number 7 and Theo Papaloukas number 4 at the post-game press conference, as he and USA basketball thought 12 Greek players that do not play in the NBA, had no shot of beating LeBron James, D Wade, Chris Bosh, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard and Carmelo Anthony, but that Greek squad had legit NBA low-post big men and not only had one PG that was not scared, but had three special PG's on the roster, that would dominate the Euroleague titles in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2013, in Theo Papaloukas, Vassilis Spanoulis and Dimitris Diamantidis, who beat USA 101-95 and now going back eight years are STILL the last team to beat the USA NBA stars. Greece was one of those smaller nations of just 11 million that took on the 314 million people of USA and came out the winner and looking at what USA did to the 2014 FIBA opponents, maybe BBALL fans and analysts, that always pump up Spain and Argentina with their NBA guys just do not give that 2006 Greek squad the proper respect, that it deserves in beating an even better USA squad than the 2014 team, that destroyed Lithuania in the Semis and today destroyed Serbia in the Gold medal game 129-92.
USA today did what it should have done in 2002, 2004 and 2006 against tiny nations, as they beat Serbia, a nation of 7 million, by 37 points, as Kyrie Irving and James Harden were on fire with 3 point shots, with PG Kyrie Irving leading the way 26 points in 24 minutes, on 10-13 FG, 6-6 from long range and James Harden followed with 23 points, on 8-11 FG, 3-5(3PT), as USA made 15-30, but were 13-21 earlier in the game. EJBB thought Serbia could keep the game tight, but when USA starts 13-21 from behind the arc, their is no way of beating the nation of 314 million. EJBB compared the 3 guard rotation of Milos Teodosic, Bogdan Bogdanovic and Stefan Markovic, to the Greek 2006 trio of Euroleague champion PG's, but with the 3 point shots all dropping for USA, even with a 15-7 lead by Serbia, it all ended quickly for Serbia.
Serbia got destroyed in this Gold medal game, but the INFERIOR TAG that EJBB heard on NBA radio by a host is still not true, as Serbia with ZERO players from the NBA on the roster, knocked off Brazil with FOUR NBA players, by 28 points and then beat France and their FOUR NBA players in the Semis. USA did a good job of holding Milos Teodosic to just seven FG attempts, as he had 10 points, on 4-7 FG, 1-3(3PT), 1-2 FT and young 22 year old SG Bogdan Bogdanovic seemed to be pressing, only shooting 5-17 on FG and could not grab his great 3 point stroke going 1-9, 4-4 FT, 15 points, SF-PF Nemanja Bjelica showed his skill with 18 points, on 6-11 FG, 2-5(3PT), 4-6 FT and SF Nikola Kalinic played the best 18 points, 8-9 FG. Bogdan Bogdanovic will be back and has the ability to win Euroleague titles, before he enters the NBA and the 6-6 from long range that Kyrie Irving had today, will soon be what Bogdanovic does and Milos Teodosic is still looking for his first Euroleague title, playing with Euro power CSKA Moscow, EJBB heard he is the best pick and roll player in Europe, as he did a great job versus Greece, Brazil and France, but this huge point margin by USA makes EJBB think back to the 2006 Greek team, that had three championship Euroleague PG's on that squad, that not only worked Pick and Roll magic in national team wins, but dominated the last decade of Euroleague basketball and are still the last PG trio to lead a small nation past the USA NBA stars, Theo Papaloukas, Vassilis Spanoulis and Dimitris Diamantidis never played in the NBA, as Jeff Van Gundy did not let Spanoulis do his magic in Houston, but today might be what FIBA basketball will be versus USA in Gold medal games future games, as Spanoulis is 32 years old, Diamantidis retired from national team, Papaloukas retired, Sarunas Jasikevicius retired, Carlos Arroyo is 35, Manu Ginobili is 37, Goran Dragic is really good, but does not have enough Big Man help, where are the future special PG's coming from that are not scared of USA, Tony Parker might give the 2016 Olympics one more try to beat USA, it could be Teodosic and Bogdanovic on a better day, the Spainish guards of Ricky Rubio, GO UNDER THE SCREEN and Juan Carlos Navarro is older, where are the PG's coming from. Spain had Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol and Serge Ibaka, but in trhe end the Spain VS USA Gold medal game was not seen, because Pau was the only one to show up versus France, because in the end it is all about the PG's that are not scared to step up in the BIGGEST Game VS USA NBA players and the last to do so are Vassilis Spanoulis, Theo Papaloukas and Dimitris Diamantidis.
- 2014 FIBA ALL TOURNAMENT TEAM KYRIE IRVING NAMED MVP
1. Kyrie Irving - PG - USA
2. Milos Teodosic - PG - Serbia
3. Pau Gasol - C - Spain
4. Nicolas Batum - SF - France
5. Kenneth Faried - PF - USA
- FRANCE WIN BRONZE MEDAL GAME NICOLAS BATUM 27 PTS LEADS
2. France 95 Lithuania 93 - Nicolas Batum (27 PT) Jonas Valanciunas (25 PT)
- - FIBA WORLD CUP SEMIFINALS - SEPT. 12th
- MILOS TEODOSIC 24 PT LEADS NON-NBA SERBIA TO SUNDAY FINAL VS ALL NBA USA
1. SERBIA 90 FRANCE 85 - @eurojohnbball was listening to NBA radio after Brazil, a FIBA team with four NBA players on the team got destroyed by a Serbian team at this FIBA World Cup that has ZERO NBA players on the roster and the host, who knew little to nothing about the Serbian squad, called them an INFERIOR team, like NENE, Anderson Varejao, Tiago Splitter and Leandro Barbosa are the 1997 Bulls or something. The host has not watched much Euroleague play before, as the leader of the Serbian national team PG Milos Teodosic and many other players on this 2014 Serbian squad could play in the NBA, but as @eurojohnbball stated in the past, why would the 27 year old Milos Teodosic want to join an NBA team and just get stuck in the corner, while he watched other players pound the ball at the top of the key. He plays with CSKA Moscow and when his 3 point stroke is going, he is one of the tougher players to guard in the entire world. Teodosic led Serbia with 23 points in their quarterfinal win over Brazil and today versus France, who also have four NBA players on the roster, Boris Diaw, Rudy Gobert, Evan Fournier and Nicolas Batum, Milos Teodosic got Serbia off to a quick start, leading 30-15 and then 46-32 at halftime, with Milos putting up 18 points, on almost perfect 7-8 FG, 3-4(3PT). Milos Teodosic finished with 24 points in 33 minutes, on 9-12 FG, 5-7 from 3 point land, 1-2 FT , as he hit his biggest shot of the game making a 3 pointer to put Serbia up 77-68 with 2 minutes left and he was followed by new Fenerbahce SG Bogdan Bogdanovic with 13 points, on 4-5 FG, 2-3(3PT), 3-4 FT and Stefan Markovic had a solid game in the 3 guard rotation, scoring 11 points, while the two players at center Miroslav Raduljica and Nenad Krstic also added 11 points apiece and skilled PF,SF Nemanja Bjelica added 10 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, and starting SF Nikola Kalinic added 8 points in the Serbian win over France.
France was led by NBA SF Nicolas Batum with a huge 35 point game, on 11-17 FG, as he made 8-12 from 3 point land to keep France in the game, 5-6 FT and was followed by Spurs PF Boris Diaw with 13 ponts, 10 rebounds, while Spanish ACB league PG Thomas Heurtel added 12 points, 6 assists and NBA SG Evan Founier had 10 points for France.
Serbia made 8-15 from 3 point land, compared to 15-33 for France and Serbia only had 8 TO's in the win, as that is the formula to try and beat USA, keep TO's down and make a good 3 point percentage. Serbia have the 3 guard rotation to stay in the game with USA, just like Greece had in 2006 with Theo Papaloukas, Vassilis Spanoulis and Dimitris Diamantidis, as Milos Teodosic is the Vassilis Spanoulis type of killer scorer, Stefan Markovic is not Theo Papaloukas, but is solid and could be key, if he does not turn the ball over versus USA pressure and Bogdan Bogdanovic hits big shots behind the arc, like Diamantidis, but Bogdan Bogdanovic must be ready to go in his sleep, thinking of a matchup versus James Harden, as Harden will try to stop the explosive Serbian scorer, Bogdanovic can take the ball to the hoop also and must be drooling after watching what Lithuanian SF Mindaugas Kuzminskas did to James Harden off the dribble.
USA is still the favorite, but this NON-NBA Serbian team is much like the NON-NBA Greek squad from 2006, not just with the 3 guard rotation on each squad, but Greece had legit low-post guys in Lazaros Papadopoulos and BIG SOFO Sofoklis Schortsanitis, just like Serbia have with Miroslav Raduljica and Nenad Krstic and PF-SF Nemanja Bjelica can stick the 3 point shot like Antonis Fotsis could in the 2006 Greek win and Fotsis could also put the ball on the floor as he did versus Carmelo Anthony on a 3 point play and Bjelica can put it on the floor even better than Fotsis.
In the end it will take a huge game by the Serbian 3 guard rotation to pull off a huge upset versus USA and the BIGS of Krstic, Raduljica and Bjelica will have to have a good day on the glass to not give USA second chances, Serbia last beat the NBA based USA stars in the 2002 FIBA World championship, as Vlade Divac, Peja Stojakovic and the BEST SERBIAN PLAYER 98 PERCENT OF NBA FANS IN THE USA never saw Dejan Bodiroga pulled off an upset. Milos Teodosic has been the MAN on the Serbian national team in the past five years and has not yet won Euroleague titles like Vassilis Spanoulis of Greece or Dejan Bodiroga won in his great career in Europe, but if Milos Teodosic can lead Serbia to the Gold medal win over USA, he will go down as a Serbian legend, just like Dejan Bodiroga has and young SG Bogdan Bogdanovic could be the next great Serbian legend, if his great scoring games in the Serbian Finals for Partizan in 2014 are what fans will get used to in big games for the skilled SG, with confidence of making shots from the parking lot.
- FIBA WORLD CUP SEMIFINALS - SEPT. 11th
- USA DO NOT LET NATION OF 3 MILLION STAY CLOSE THIS TIME - USA GO TO FINAL
1. USA 96 LITHUANIA 68 - USA was looking forward to a Sunday final versus home country Spain, but other than Pau Gasol, the rest of the Spanish squad decided not to show up in a quarterfinal matchup versus France, so a slow start by USA was probably going to happen versus Lithuania, as many on the NBA based squad think the Gold medal is all but locked up with Spain out and only Lithuania, France and Serbia in the way of back to back FIBA Gold WC. The nation of 3 million people have played USA a nation of 314 million people really tuff in past Olympics and World Cup events in the past decade and USA was only up by eight points at halftime 43-35, but USA stepped it up in the second half cruising to a 28 point win, as Lithuania had 21 TO's versus USA pressure and hit on only 2-18 from 3 point land. That is not the formula to defeat the NBA stars of USA, the last team to beat USA was Greece in 2006 and only had 11 TO's and 18 assists, only 3 TO's from their three PG's Papaloukas, Spanoulis and Diamantidis, Lithuania was without starting PG Mantas Kalnietis and the star PG of past Lithuanian teams Sarunas Jasikevicius has retired, so the four BIGS of Lithuania had to have a big day inside to stay in the game.
Raptors Center Jonas Valanciunas had 16 points, 7 rebounds, on 2-5 FG, 11-13 FT, but Rockets PF Donatas Motiejunas had just 2 points, on 1-5 FG, 0-2(3PT), as Lithuanian coach Kazlauskas used Motiejunas much like the Rockets do in the NBA, as a jump shooter and never gave him a shot to show his good post moves in the paint (REPLAY OF HIS NBA CAREER SO FAR). Coach Jonas Kazlauskas likes going with older BIGS the Lavrinovic brothers, but Darjus had 9 points, on just 2-7 FG, 1-4(3PT), 4-5 FT and Ksistof had zero points , on 0-3 FG, 0-2(3PT) and guards Adas Juskevicius added 12 points, on 10-10 FT, but only made 1-8 FG, 0-4(3PT) and Martynas Pocius added 10 points, but in the end not having a star PG like Sarunas Jasikevicius in the past hurt the Lithuanian squad and the NBA stars did what they should do to a nation of 3 million people, win by 28 points.
France might have Boris Diaw, Nicolas Batum and Rudy Gobert, Evan Fournier who play in the NBA, but the best two guards on the court of the Serbia versus France semifinal game on Friday are PG Milos Teodosic and young SG Bogdan Bogdanovic, most that do not follow Euroleague would think the more NBA based France squad would have a better shot of an upset in a Gold medal game on Sunday versus USA, but as shown in past USA losses to Argentina, Lithuania, Spain and Greece, the formula is simple, but finding PG's that can handle the USA pressure is hard, Manu Ginobili, Sarunas Jasikevicius Juan Carlos Navarro and Vassilis Spanoulis, Dimitris Diamantidis and Theo Papaloukas were special players of the past decade in Europe, playing in the Euroleague and Milos Teodosic and Bogdan Bogdanovic will have to be parts of all of those players in the Gold medal game on Sunday and have an 18 assist 3 TO's type of game like Greece had with their PG's, for Serbia, a nation with zero NBA players to defeat this USA squad of NBA players.
USA was led by Cavs PG Kyrie Irving with 18 points in 34 minutes, on 8-15 FG, 2-5(3PT), 4 assists and was followed by James Harden and Klay Thompson with 16 points apiece, while Stephen Curry added 13 points in the win. A player that is not on the 2014 Serbian squad PF Dusko Savanovic said at the 2010 World Cup, that Serbia could beat USA, after Serbia and Milos Teodosic knocked off Spain, but home squad Turkey snuck by Serbia in the semis, but this time this Serbian squad might get that Gold medal match versus USA, but this time Dusko Savanovic will be watching from home, just like the rest of the BBALL world.
- FIBA WORLD CUP - QUARTERFINALS - SEPT. 10th
- LOOKS LIKE 2007 EUROBASKET AGAIN - SPAIN 2-22 FROM DEEP LOST GLASS 44-19
1. FRANCE 65 SPAIN 52 - FULL GAME VIDEO - @eurojohnbball , John Dimopoulos went on NBA.COM Hang Time Blog Podcast with Sekou Smith and Lang Whitaker on August 22nd and talked up Spain as the favorite at the 2014 FIBA World Cup, mostly because their best FIBA player Pau Gasol decided to play and the fact that it was on their home soil, but in the Podcast John Dimopoulos stated that the Spain side of the bracket was the tougher road to the Gold medal game, compared to the teams USA had to play and teams like, France, Serbia, Greece, Brazil and Croatia could upset Spain if they did not bring their A game. The A game of Spain was not available today in a Quarterfinal matchup versus 2013 Eurobasket champs France, as Spain only made a horrible 2-22 shots from 3 point land and their 3 NBA BIGS of Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol and the NATURALIZED CITIZEN Serge Ibaka grabbed a total of 13 rebounds, as Spain got destroyed 44 to 19 on the glass, as the only player to show up for Spain was Pau Gasol with 17 points in 31 minutes, on 7-12 FG, 0-1(3PT), 3-3 FT, 3 blocked shots, (How did that NATURALIZED CITIZEN Rule work for Spain) Serge Ibaka had 2 points in 18 minutes, on 1-7 FG, 0-3(3PT), 2 BIG REBOUNDS, Marc Gasol (Who John Dimopoulos said was a good defensive Center in the NBA, but not a major factor in International play) had 3 points, on 1-7 FG, 1-2 FT and NBA PG Ricky Rubio was in NBA FG shooting form 1-7 FG, 0-1(3PT), 2-2 FT, 4 points and only one assist. The only other Spanish player with double-figures was older SG Juan Carlos Navarro with 10 points, but only made 1-5 from 3 point land and Rudy Fernandez added a meager 6 points, on 2-6 FG, 0-3(3PT), and NBA PG Jose Calderon added 5 points, on 2-5 FG, 1-3(3PT), SG Sergio Lllull also had 5 points, on 2-5 FG, 0-3(3PT), Sergio Rodriguez had 0 points, on 0-3 from 3 point land.
As you can see, other than the leader of the Spanish squad Pau Gasol, the rest of the Spanish squad were feeling the heat to win on their home court, as John Dimopoulos, Charles Barkley, Fran Fraschilla, Brian Mahoney, Goran Dragic and Frank Isola all said Spain was now the FAVORITES after a 6-0 start, but just like Greece had their first bad game after a 5-0 start versus Serbia, Spain had a game to forget in the quarterfinals and both undefeated squads are now out, with France up against Serbia in the Semis on Friday.
The game today against France for Spain was much like the bad game they played versus, new Cavs Coach David Blatt and star Russian player Andrei Kirilenko in the 2007 Eurobasket Gold medal game that was also played on Spanish home soil, as John Dimopoulos stated in the NBA.COM Podcast, Spain could get tight in a close game and 2-22 from 3 point land is sure tight. John Dimopoulos picked Spain over USA, not so much because of Marc Gasol and Serge Ibaka, more because of Pau but EJBB thought Spain had the guards to keep the TO's down versus the USA pressure, as Spain only had eight TO's today versus France, but could not hit a shot. John Dimopulos compared the Spanish guards to what the Greek trio of PG's did in their upset win over USA in 2006, but thinking back on the Podcast, what have the Spanish guards and Spain really done in Euroleague play and other than Pau Gasol winning titles in the NBA with the Lakers and Juan Carlos Navarro winning a Euroleage title in 2010 and Ricky Rubio being a fringe player on that 2010 FC Barcelona Juan Carlos Navarro led squad, the other players on this 2014 Spanish squad can in no way compare to what the Greek PG trio of Theo Papaloukas, Vassilis Spanoulis and Dimitris Diamantidis have done winning the 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2013 Euroleague titles as the main men and are still the last to beat the NBA stars of USA.
The Spanish players had their shot in 2013-14 season, as they destroyed other Euroleague squads and Spanish ACB squads by 25 to 30 points in many games, sort ot what this Spanish squad did in Pool play and versus Senegal, but when Real Madrid faced Maccabi Tel Aviv and David Blatt, Tyrese Rice was named MVP and Final Four MVP and the same happened to the hyped Real Madrid players versus FC Barcelona and Juan Carlos Navarro, as Real Madrid lost 3-1, this pattern followed most of the Real Madrid players on the 2014 Spanish squad. Rudy Fernandez, Sergio Rodriguez (Euroleague Regular Season MVP), Sergio Llull, Felipe Reyes and new Bulls PF Nikola Mirotic were all on that Real Madrid team that lost both the Euroleague Final and ACB title in 2014 and now in the same year VS France as the favorite in each game and series.
France was led by PF Boris Diaw with 15 points in 29 minutes, on 6-12 FG, 3-7(3PT), 0-2 FT, 5 rebounds and was followed by Laboral Kutxa PG Thomas Heurtel with 13 points, 4 assists, while NBA SF Nicolas Batum added 9 points, NBA Center Rudy Gobert grabbed 13 rebounds and Khimki Center Joffrey Lauvergne grabbed 10 rebounds in 16 minutes in the upset win for France with no Joakim Noah and Tony Parker.
- 2010 WORLD CUP - MILOS TEODOSIC 3 POINT SHOT KNOCKS SPAIN OUT
- SERBIA GO TO SEMIS NON-NBA PG MILOS TEODOSIC 23 PTS 5-9 FG 3-5(3PT) 10-10 FT
1. SERBIA 84 BRAZIL 56 - FULL GAME VIDEO - Milos Teodosic does not play in the NBA, but the Serbian PG has the skills to play in the NBA, but why would he want to take a chance of being stuck in the corner, by a Jeff Van Gundy type of NBA coach, the same that happened to Vassilis Spanoulis in Houston with Van Gundy. EJBB was listening to NBA Radio today and a host was going off on how Brazil with Leandro Barbosa, NENE, Anderson Varajao and Tiago Splitter, all NBA players, could lose to what he called an INFERIOR Serbian team, that he knew little about. To call the many NBA capable players on the Serbian squad INFERIOR is just laughable, Milos Teodosic has go to ability and is a former Euroleague regular season MVP, that can get hot like Juan Carlos Navarro used to with FC Barcelona and Spain and much like Vassilis Spanoulis of Greece and Olympiacos, as all three guards are killer players that do not play in the NBA. The NBA Radio host would probably call the 2006 Greek squad INFERIOR, but ask LeBron, Wade, Chris Paul, Carmelo and Dwight Howard if those NON-NBA guys could play.
Back to the 28 point win today by the Euroleague based Serbian squad, CSKA Moscow PG Milos Teodosic led them with 23 points in 28 minutes, on 5-9 FG, 3-5(3PT), 10-10 FT and was followed by new Fenerbahce SG Bogdan Bogdanovic with 12 points, Big Men Nenad Krstic and Miroslav Raduljica outplayed the NBA centers scoring 10 points apiece, shooting a combined 9-13 FG, compared to 7-25 for the Brazilian NBA Centers.
- SEPT. 9th - GORAN DRAGIC PICKS SPAIN EVEN AFTER 43 POINT LOSS TO USA
- FIBA WORLD CUP - QUARTERFINALS - SEPT. 9th
- LITHUANIA VS USA - 2000 OLYMPICS - 2004 OLYMPICS - 2012 OLYMPICS
- USA LOOK STRONG AS THEY ADVANCE TO PLAY 3 MILLION LITHUANIAS IN SEMIS
1. USA 119 Slovenia 76 - Goran Dragic was upset when Australia let Angola win in Pool play, because that meant that Slovenia would get an NBA loaded squad in the Quarterfinals and today USA let loose on Slovenia winning by 43 points, as Slovenia had 25 TO's versus the USA pressure. If you look at the two nations populations, you would think USA with 314 million people would crush a nation of just 2 million people in Slovenia, as they held NBA PG Goran Dragic to just 6-15 FG, 1-5(3PT), 4 assists, 4 TO's and his brother Zoran Dragic added 11 points, on 4-12 FG, 2-6(3PT), while Domen Lorbek had 12 points, USA won big, but the nation of 3 million people of Lithuania will be the semifinal matchup for USA and they have played USA the toughest of any nation in head to head play, going back to the 2000 Olympics, when a Sarunas Jasikevicius jumper was just off versus the loaded NBA 2000 squad. Greece is the last squad to beat the NBA stars of USA in 2006, as the three PG's Theo Papaloukas, Vassilis Spanoulis and Dimitris Diamantidis were confident and did not have a face of a Mike Tyson opponent going into the ring in the 1980's, as Finland had in Pool play versus USA, as the only way to beat USA is to keep TO's down and if you are scared going into the game, the 25, 28 or 30 TO's versus USA will end up with a 30 to 40 point margin.
The Semifinal matchup versus Lithuania will be a much tighter game than the Slovenia game, because Lithuania have legit NBA caliber Big men, something Slovenia does not have and not to say Goran Dragic was scared of USA, but in his mind, he was going 2 on 5 most of the time, without the legit NBA Bigs that Greece had in 2006 and Spain and Lithuania have at this 2014 World Cup. USA outrebounded Slovenia by a huge 50-29 margin, but in the Semis, Lithuania have two 7 foot NBA big men in Jonas Valanciunas and Donatas Motiejunas, along with two big guys that could have played in the NBA, in the Lavrinovic brothers, Darjus and Ksistof, two more 6 foot 11 inch guys, that are mobile like Motiejunas and can rebound.
The injury to PG Mantas Kalnietis hurts the Lithuanian chances of pulling off an upset over USA, like they almost did in 2000, 2012 and they did in 2004, as Sarunas Jasikevicius has retired and he had that special Greek PG type of confidence versus USA, that the younger Lithuanian PG's on this 2014 squad have not shown yet, as this USA game will be the first time Adas Juskevicius has seen athletes like the USA, but Lithuania might go more with older combo-guards Renaldas Seibutis and Martynas Pocius as the main ball handlers like they did today in the Turkey win, as Seibutis led Lithuania with 19 points, 3-3(3PT) just one TO and Pocius added 13 points and zero TO's, while Raptors Center Jonas Valanciunas added 12 points, 13 rebounds and might have to play MUCH BIGGER to keep Lithuania close in the Semis versus USA. Lithuania made 10-19 from 3 point land versus Turkey in their win today and had 15 TO's, that is the most TO's a team can have versus USA and still win, SF Jonas Maciulis could be a key player versus USA, if he hits some early 3 point shots, but in the end the Kalnietis injury could mean more TO's versus USA in an upset chance and USA versus Spain looks more like the Sunday Gold medal game.
USA made 9-19 from 3 point land and were led in scoring by SG Klay Thompson with 20 points, on 7-12 FG, 4-8(3PT), 2-4 FT, Kenneth Faried 14 points, 10 rebounds, Anthony Davis 13 points, 11 rebounds, Derrick Rose had his best game yet 12 points, 6-10 FG, 0-2(3PT), James Harden (BEST PLAYER IN NBA AS HE SAYS) 14 points, but on only 4-14 FG, if the Spanish guards keep their TO's down in what should be the Gold medal game VS USA, Derrick Rose will have to stick an open 3 point shot and James Harden can not shoot 4-14 for USA to win Gold on Spanish soil.
- LITHUANIA ADVANCE TO PLAY USA IN THE SEMIS - SEIBUTIS X-FACTOR VS USA
2. Lithuania 73 Turkey 61 - Renaldas Seibutis (19 PT) KKerem Gonlum (13 PT)
- FIBA WORLD CUP - KNOCKOUT STAGE - SEPT. 7th - TOP 5 PLAYS
- SERBIA BEATS GREECE AS 5-0 SQUAD GETS WORST POSSIBLE MATCHUP
1. Serbia 90 Greece 72 - The 2014 Greek squad was not expected to be 5-0 in Pool play, without their best off the dribble player Vassilis Spanoulis not taking part in the FIBA World cup, but with good defense and good inside play from Ioannis Bourousis and Georgios Printezis, along with quality guard play by Nick Calathes and their best 3 point shooter in this tourney Nikos Zisis, Greece was one of three teams to finish 5-0, along with USA and Spain, but the Greeks got the worst possible matchup in their knockout game today, as they drew 2-3 Serbia, but do not let the record fool you because Serbia has many NBA caliber players on their roster and the team system play of Greece was going to have a tough time covering many 3 point threats on the perimeter, along with their ability to pump fake and take guys of the dribble. Early in the game Nikola Kalinic showed athletic drives and dunks at the rim for Serbia, as he finished with 12 points in the game and the game might have turned, when Greek coach Fotsis Katsikaris decided to take Center Ioannis Bourousis out of the game in the last minute of play of the first half, with Greece up by one point, Serbia right away went inside to Raduljica for a hook shot, then Kalinic drove the baseline for a dunk and a three point play, with no shot blocker in the game and Serbia had a four point lead at the half. Coach Katsikaris did a great job at this 2014 FIBA WC and made the coaching of last years NT coach Andrea Trinchieri look like what it was last 2013 Eurobasket, a Bad dream to Greek fans, but that last minute move of resting Bourousis could have given the young Serbian squad more confidence.
Serbia saw their young SG Bodgdan Bogdanovic ( Suns NBA First Round Pick) get hot from 3 point land and show his off the dribble game to the hoop in the third quarter, as he led Serbia in the game with 21 points, on 7-11 FG, 4-7(3PT), 3-4 FT, while Center Miroslav Raduljica followed with 16 points in the paint, PG Milos Teodosic ( Another 3 PT Threat) finished with 13 points, 5 assists and SF Nemanja Bjelica ( Another 3 PT Threat) added 8 points off pump fakes and his ability to take guys off the dribble and Center Nenad Krstic made his 15 foot jumpers to pull Bourousis away from the hoop and added 10 points in the Serbian win.
Greece played good offense in the first half, but probably should have posted up Bourousis more to get him in a rythm and get more open looks at the 3 point stripe, as Bourousis had 9 points, on 3-6 FG, 1-2(3PT), 2-2 FT, 5 rebounds, not having Greek American NBA Center Kostas Koufos available for this World Cup made things tough on Greece and Bourousis, because Bourousis was the only legit NBA caliber starting center on the Greek roster, going up against two NBA centers on Serbia, Nick Calathes led Greece with 14 points, on 6-13 FG, 2-5(3PT) and was followed by the post moves of Georgios Printezis with 12 points, as he got off to a quick start and Nikos Zisis was steady with 12 points, 3-4(3PT), Giannis Antetokounmpo had 7 points, on 3-3 FG, 1-1(3PT), but even with his length had trouble guarding Bogdanovic, as Giannis had four fouls, but the Greek squad that did not have the Spanoulis type of off the dribble player, like Serbia had, needed new Houston Rockets SF Kostas Papanikolaou to find his 3 point stroke that he did not have this entire FIBA tourney today versus Serbia, but he was 0-3 from long range and had just one point, as Papanikolaou never found his clutch 3 point stroke that he showed with Olympiacos in back to back Euroleague titles with Spanoulis, Printezis, Mantzaris and Sloukas. Serbia move on to play the winner of Argentina versus Brazil, as the Greek squad suffer their first loss and are out, as teams like Lithuania, Slovenia Turkey and Australia, lost before in this tourney, but the squads they played in the knockout round would have suited the system ball of the Greek squad better than the Serbian squad that caused Greece matchup problems all over the court.
- NATURALIZED CITIZEN EMIR PRELDZIC BOSNIAN - SLOVENIAN WINS IT FOR TURKEY
2. Turkey 65 Australia 64 - Emir Preldzic, Sinan Guler (16 PT) Aron Baynes (15 PT)
- LITHUANIA ADVANCE JONAS VALANCIUNAS 22 PTS 13 REB 3 BLOCKS LEADS
3. Lithuania 76 New Zealand 71 - Jonas Valanciunas (22 PT, 13 R) Corey Webster (26 PT)
- BRAZIL ADVANCE TO PLAY SERBIA IN QUARTERFINAL RAUL NETO 9-10 FG 21 PTS
4. Brazil 85 Argentina 65 - Raul Neto (21 PT) Pablo Prigioni (18 PT)
- FIBA WORLD CUP - KNOCKOUT STAGE - SEPT. 6th - TOP 5 PLAYS
- USA ADVANCE IN KNOCKOUT STAGE - MEXICO GUSTAVO AYON 25 PTS 11-19 FG
1. USA 86 Mexico 63 - Stephen Curry led team USA with 20 points in 24 minutes of play, making 7-10 FG, finding his deep 3 point stroke 6-9 from long range, 4 assists and was followed by his Golden State Warriors teammate Klay Thompson with 15 points, while James Harden added 12 points and Center DeMarcus Cousins had 11 points, 7 rebounds, making 5-5 FG in the USA win. Mexico was led by Gustavo Ayon with 25 points in 37 minutes, on 11-19 FG, 3-8 FT, 8 rebounds, but got little help from his teammates, as the 3-8 FT by Ayon were the only FT's taken by the entire Mexican team. USA made 13-29 from 3 point land compared to just 4-16 for Mexico. USA will play Slovenia in the Quaterfinal round. Gustavo Ayon is a free agent and could put many Mexican American fans in NBA seats, that would otherwise not go to an NBA arena.
- CROATIA USE DARIO SARIC WRONG HE IS POINT FORWARD NEEDS BALL
- DARIO SARIC 2-6 FG 4 PT - HOW DID NATURALIZED PG MOVE GO - 1-8 FG 2 PTS
- TALENTED MARIO HEZONJA ZERO MINUTES AGAIN BUT HE IS CROATIAN
2. France 69 Croatia 64 - Nicolas Batum led France with 14 points in 31 minutes, on 5-13 FG, 0-6(3PT), 4-6 FT and was followed by Evan Fournier with 13 points, while M Gelabale added 11 points in the win for the 2013 Eurobasket champs minus Tony Parker. Croatia again used Philadelphia 76ers draft pick Dario Saric WRONG, the 6 foot 10 inch young Croatian is a Point forward, but is not being given the ball by Croatia at the top of the key to do his thing, instead Croatia went the Naturalized Citizen route with American PG Oliver Lafayette and the different role for Saric had him put up just 4 points in 27 minutes, on just 2-6 FG, 0-0(3PT), 0-0 FT, 7 rebounds, 3 steals, not the numbers Philly wants in a 12th pick in the NBA First round, but again Oliver Lafayette having the ball so much at the top of the key had plenty to do with Saric being out of rythm. Lafayette was just 1-8 on FG for just 2 points, 0-3(3PT), 6 assists, 3 TO's and Croatia got another big scoring game from new Nets SF Bojan Bogdanovic with 27 points,on 11-19 FG, 3-7(3PT), 2-4 FT and Center Ante Tomic added 17 points, on 7-10 FG, while talented SF Mario Hezonja got ZERO minutes again. In the end Saric not being the man at the top of the key hurt Croatia, as he and Hezonja are the future of Croatian basketball, but they got little shot at this tourney to show their skills playing together, maybe next FIBA World Cup Croatia will not go the Naturalized Citizen route, or better yet, the rule will not be there anymore.
- SPAIN MOVE ON TO PLAY SLOVENIA - PAU GASOL GREAT FIBA PLAY 17 PT 8-10 FG
3. Spain 89 Senegal 56 - Pau Gasol (17 PT) Pape Badji, Mouhammad Faye (12 PT)
- SLOVENIA WIN BUT WILL PLAY SPAIN ON TUESDAY - DRAGIC BROTHERS 30 PTS
4. Slovenia 71 Dominican Rep. 61 - Zoran Dragic (18 PT) James Feldeine (18 PT)
- FIBA WORLD CUP - DAY SIX RESULTS - SEPT. 4th - TOP 5 PLAYS
- THROWBACK 1994 QFINAL FULL - GREECE V CANADA STEVE NASH & RICK FOX
- SEPT. 4th FULL GAME VIDEO - GREECE 79 ARGENTINA 71
- USA WIN BY 24 PT TO FINISH GROUP 5-0 & WILL MEET GUSTAVO AYON & MEXICO
1. USA 95 Ukraine 71 - The defending 2010 FIBA champs were not tested in Group play and ended play at 5-0 with a 24 point win over the Mike Fratello coached Ukraine squad that had American PG Eugene (Pooh) Jeter taking most of the shots 5-16 FG, 2-5(3PT), 1-2 FT, 2 assists. EUROJOHNBBALL will say it again, for those teams that have American PG's ( That do not have HERITAGE to the nation they are playing for, like Greek American Nick Calathes has) leading their foreign nation clubs with the quarterback duties, how does that ENHANCE the profile of your nation as a Basketball power. Wake Up FIBA, the naturalized citizen rule is a JOKE and needs to be changed to let players from their home nation get minutes on the court. Now that I got that out again, to the 24 point win by team USA, they were led by James Harden with 17 points and was followed by Anthony Dais with 12 points, while Kyrie Irving and DeMarcus Cousins added 11 points apiece in the win. Ukraine finish at 2-3 in Group C and are out of tourney, as they were led by Center Slava Kravtsov with 15 points and American Jeter added 13.
USA play Mexico in the knockout round on Saturday and EJBB knows Mexican Center Gustavo Ayon's game well from his time in Spain with Fuenlabrada, infact EJBB might be the reason Gustavo Ayon, an undrafted player, who at the age of 26, after a big 34 point, 15-16 FG game in Spain in 2011, EJBB asked why is the best Mexican player in the world playing in Spain and not in a southeast or southwest city in the NBA, where he would fill some NBA seats. What a COINCIDENCE, 3 weeks after EJBB wrote about Gustavo Ayon, the New Orleans Hornets and GM Dell Demps signed the UNDRAFTED Mexican player, while his Spanish ACB league season already started, AGAIN COINCIDENCE, EJBB thinks not !!!!!
- SPAIN FINISH 5-0 WILL PLAY SENEGAL - SERBIA 2-3 WILL MEET GREECE 5-0
2. Spain 89 Serbia 73 - The home squad finish Group play at 5-0 and will meet Senegal in knockout play on Saturday, while Serbia end at 2-3 and will meet Greece on Sunday. Pau Gasol kept his BEST FIBA PLAYER IN THE WORLD LABEL GOING, with 20 points, on 6-11 FG, 0-1(3PT), 8-8 FT and was followed by SG Juan Carlos Navarro with 15 points, while PG Ricky Rubio had a STAT SHEET STUFFER day with 12 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds, 7 steals, but a bad 7 TO's also and unless Rubio makes some deep shots early in the USA Gold medal game, if Spain advances on their side, EJBB does not see Rubio on the court in a close Gold medal game in the late 4th quarter. Serbia was led by by SF Nemanja Blelica with 19 points and was followed by Center Miroslav Raduljica with 13 points.
- GREECE FINISH 5-0 AVOID SPAIN UNTIL SEMIS - ARGENTINA 3-2 WILL PLAY BRAZIL
3. Greece 79 Argentina 71 - EJBB wondered why the Miami Heat never went after 30 year old Greek Center Ioannis Bourousis, as EJBB said Bourousis was the best Center that is not in the NBA and today against a Great FIBA player big man in Luis Scola, Bourousis made big shots down the stretch of a tight game and even threw a behind the back dish for a layup. Ioannis Bourousis had 16 points, 15 rebounds, 3 blocked shots, 2 assists in 31 minutes, on 6-13 FG, 1-3(3PT), 3-4 FT and held Luis Scola to a 6-17 FG game, 17 points and only 5 rebounds. Bourousis got great help from Greek American NBA PG Nick Calathes with 18 big points, 4 assists, on 8-12 FG, 2-3(3PT), while PF Georgios Printezis used his good post moves to add 15 points and 31 year old combo-guard Nikos Zisis was his steady self with 13 points, 5 assists and new Houston Rockets SF Kostas Papanikolaou played good defense and added 6 points in the Greek win. Argentina was led by Scola with 17 points and was followed by PG's Facundo Campazzo and Pablo Prigioni with 10 points apiece.
- LITHUANIA WIN GROUP D AT 4-1 AVOID USA UNTIL SEMIS - MEET N. ZEALAND
4. Lithuania 67 Slovenia 64 - Jonas Valanciunas (12 PT) Domen Lorbek (14 PT)
- KNOCKOUT ROUND MATCHUPS ARE SET - SAT, & SUNDAY SEPT. 6th,7th
- 1. USA V Mexico 2. Spain V Senegal 3. France V Croatia 4. Slovenia V Dom. Rep
- 5. Greece V Serbia 6. Lithuania V N Zealand 7. Australia V Turkey 8. Argentina V Brazil
5. Croatia 103 Puerto Rico 82 - Bojan Bogdanovic (23 PT) J.J Barea (20 PT)
6. Turkey 77 Dominican Rep. 64 - Oguz Savas (15 PT) Francisco Garcia (18 PT)
7. France 81 Iran 76 - Thomas Heurtel (15 PT) S Nikkhah Bahrami (23 PT)
8. Brazil 128 Egypt 65 - Leandro Barbosa (22 PT) Ibrahim El Gammal (16 PT)
9. Angola 91 Australia 83 - Yanick Moreira (38 PT, 15 R) Chris Goulding (22 PT)
10. New Zealand 67 Finland 65 - Isaac Fotu (18 PT) Gerald Lee (17 PT)
11. Mexico 87 S. Korea 71 - Hector Hernandez (16 PT, 11 R) Tae-Jong Moon (16 PT)
12. Philippines 81 Senegal 79 - Andray Blatche, Jim Alapag (18 PT) Mouhammed Faye (20 PT)
- FIBA WORLD CUP - DAY FIVE RESULTS - SEPT. 3rd - TOP 5 PLAYS
- GREECE GO TO 4-0 K. KAIMAKOGLOU & K. PAPANIKOLAOU 14 PTS APIECE
1. Greece 76 Croatia 65 - FULL GAME - EUROJOHNBBALL heard on a USA basketball FIBA broadcast that Greece was not in the mix for a medal, but after four games the Greek squad go to 4-0 with an 11 point win over Croatia. USA basketball and NBA fans know James Harden as the FEAR THE BEARD man, but the Greek squad have their own BEARD MAN in Stretch PF Kostas Kaimakoglou, who came off the bench versus Croatia scoring 14 points in 27 minutes, on 5-5 FG, 2-2(3PT), 2-3 FT, 6 rebounds, 4 assists and got help from new Houston Rockets SF Kostas Papanikolaou with 14 points, on 7-10 FG, 0-2(3PT), while the BEST CENTER NOT IN THE NBA Ioannis Bourousis added 13 points, 10 rebounds, on 6-10 FG, 0-3(3PT), 1-2 FT in the Greek wn. Greece only made 5-23 from 3 point land, but if Greece can make some deep shots in the knockout round, they are in the Mix for a medal.
Croatia drop to 2-2 and must defeat Puerto Rico on Thursday, to advance to the round of 16, as they were led by new Brooklyn Nets SF Bojan Bogdanovic with 20 points in 32 minutes, on 6-12 FG, 3-8(3PT), 5-6 FT and was followed by Philadelphia 76ers Draft pick Dario Saric with 10 points in 34 minutes, on 4-12 FG, 1-2(3PT), 1-1 FT, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals and Center Ante Tomic added 9 points, 9 rebounds. In EJBB opinion, Dario Saric is being used wrong in this tourney, he is more of a point-forward and Croatia is not letting him be the man with the ball at the top of the key. It is time for Croatia to let Saric handle the ball, forget the American PG NATURALIZED CITIZEN rule leading the Croatian squad and give tallented 19 year old Mario Hezonja some minutes on the wing where Saric is being used.
- USA GO TO 4-0 KENNETH FARIED & DEMARCUS COUSINS 29 PT COMB.
2. USA 106 Dominican Rep. 71 - Team USA go to 4-0, as they kept the pressure on Dominican Republic, causing 26 TO's in the 35 point win. Kenneth Faried kept his good play going with 16 points in 17 minutes, on 8-11 FG, 6 rebounds and was followed by DeMarcus Cousins with 13 points, while DeMar DeRozan had 11 points and Anthony Davis along with James Harden added 10 points apiece in the win. The Dominican Republic drop to 2-2 and was led by Victor Liz with 15 points.
- SPAIN GO TO 4-0 MARC GASOL & PAU GASOL 32 PTS COMBINED
3. Spain 88 France 64 - The home Spanish squad defeat France by 24 points to go to 4-0, as Spain only had 8 TO's in the game, the perfect recipe in trying to defeat team USA, keep the ball and get shots up, no sloppy passes for easy USA dunks. The eight TO's worked well versus France, the 2013 Eurobasket champs, minusTony Parker, as Spain was led by big man Marc Gasol with 17 points, on 6-9 FG, 1-2(3PT), 4-4 FT and was followed by his brother Pau with 15 points, while Juan Carlos Navarro added 14 points, Serge Ibaka had 10 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks and Sergio Llull added 10 points, 4 assists in the Spanish win. France drop to 2-2 and were led by PG antoine Diot and SF Nicolas Batum with 11 points apiece.
- SLOVENIA GO TO 4-0 DOMEN LORBEK & GORAN DRAGIC 31 PTS COMBINED
4. Slovenia 93 Angola 87 - Domen Lorbek (17 PT) Roberto Fortes (21 PT)
5. Argentina 81 Senegal 46 - Luis Scola (22 PT, 14 R) Gorgui Dieng (11 PT)
6. Australia 70 Mexico 62 - Aron Baynes (21 PT) Gustavo Ayon (11 PT)
7. Lithuania 79 Korea 49 - Adas Juskevicius (20 PT) Tae-Jong Moon (15 PT)
8. Brazil 81 Serbia 73 - Marquinhos Vieira (21 PT) Milos Teodosic (14 PT)
9. New Zealand 73 Ukraine 61 - Kirk Penney (17 PT) Maxym Korniyenko (15 PT)
10. Turkey 77 Finland 73 OT - Omer Asik (22 PT) Petteri Koponen (17 PT)
11. Puerto Rico 77 Philippines 73 - J.J Barea (30 PT) Andray Blatche (25 PT, 14 R)
12. Iran 88 Egypt 73 - S M Nikkhah Bahrami (24 PT) Youssef Shousha (15 PT)
- FIBA WORLD CUP - DAY FOUR RESULTS - SEPT. 2nd - TOP 5 PLAYS
- USA GO TO 3-0 ANTHONY DAVIS & KENNETH FARIED 36 PT 20 REB COMBINED
1. USA 98 New Zealand 71 - The defending 2010 FIBA WC champions win by 27 points to go 3-0 in Pool Group play, as the USA was led by their two big men Anthony Davis with 21 points in 22 minutes, on 7-13 FG, 7-10 FT and was followed by ENERGY forward Kenneth Faried with 15 points, 11 rebounds, on 7-9 FG, 1-1 FT, wing player James Harden added 13 points and NBA teammates Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson had 12 points apiece and Kyrie Irving 10 points in the USA win. New Zealand was outrebounded 44 to 28 in the loss, as they drop to 0-3 and were led by B.J Anthony with 11 points.
- SLOVENIA JOIN USA, SPAIN & GREECE WITH 3-0 RECORDS GORAN DRAGIC 22 PTS
2. Slovenia 89 South Korea 72 - The past NBA season saw Slovenian PG Goran Dragic get the usual DISRESPECT that most European players get, as he was not picked for the NBA All-Star game, but later made the All-NBA Third Team and today the PG led Slovenia to a 3-0 record, scoring 22 points in 25 minutes, on 10-14 FG, 2-4(3PT), 0-1 FT, 4 assists and was followed by SF Domen Lorbek with 14 points, while SG Zoran Dragic and Center Alen Omic added 13 points apiece in the win, along with 11 rebounds from Omic. South Korea drop to 0-3 and were led by Center Jong-Hyun Lee with 12 points.
- AUSTRALIA & LITHUANIA BOTH 2-1 JOE INGLES & ARON BAYNES 32 PT COMBINED
3. Australia 82 Lithuania 75 - Joe Ingles (18 PT) Renaldas Seibutis (21 PT)
- DOMINICAN REPUBLIC GO TO 2-1 & FINLAND DROP TO 1-2
4. Dominican Rep. 74 Finland 68 - Eloy Vargas (18 PT, 13 R) Petteri Koponen (23 PT)
- UKRAINE GO TO 2-1 & TURKEY DROP TO 1-2
5. Ukraine 64 Turkey 58 - Olexandr Mishula (19 PT) Omer Asik (16 PT, 20 R)
- MEXICO & ANGOLA BOTH GO 1-2 HECTOR HERNANDEZ 24 PTS 6-10 FROM 3 PT RANGE
6. Mexico 79 Angola 55 - Hector Hernandez (24 PT) Y Moreira, V Joaquim (13 PT)
- FIBA WORLD CUP - DAY THREE RESULTS - SEPT. 1st - TOP 5 PLAYS
- SPAIN GO TO 3-0 LED BY 34 YEAR OLD SKILLED BIG MAN PAU GASOL WITH 26 PTS
1. Spain 82 Brazil 63 - EJBB told the NBA.COM Hang Time Blog Podcast with Sekou Smith, that at age 34 their was no reason for Pau Gasol to play in the 2014 FIBA Cup, unless he was in this for a Gold medal and after a 33 point game in game one, Pau Gasol put up 26 points in 29 minutes, on 11-15 FG, making 3-5 from 3 point land, 1-2 FT, 9 rebounds, 3 blocked shots. For those that thought the 34 year old Spanish big man was too old and done, he scored his 26 points versus Tiago Splitter, NENE and Anderson Varejao, three NBA big men and with Pau Gasol on his game the EJBB prediction of a Gold medal game versus USA looks more like it will happen. Pau Gasol was followed by PG Sergio Rodriguez with 12 points, while Juan Carlos Navarro had 10 points from the SG spot and Marc Gasol added 8 points. Spain go to 3-0 and Brazil drop to 2-1 led by SG Leandro Barbosa with 11 points, while Anderson Varejao added 10 points.
- GREECE VS PHILIPPINES - 82-70 FULL GAME VIDEO - G. PRINTEZIS 25 PTS
- ANDERSON VAREJAO ELBOW TO NIKOS ZISIS 2006 WC JAPAN
- GREECE GO 3-0 NIKOS ZISIS & GIANNIS ANTETOKOUNMPO 34 PTS COMB.
2. Greece 90 Puerto Rico 79 - EUROJOHNBBALL heard others say that Greece was done as an international power, with none of the main players from the 2006 WC Silver medal team that beat team USA on this 2014 Greek roster. Gone are retired Theo Papaloukas, Dimitris Diamatidis (2010 his last NT) and Vassilis Spanoulis, who needed time off to recapture his KING of European basketball label again in the upcoming 2014-15 Euroleague season, but Greece still have Nikos Zisis on the 2014 team, that was on that 2006 squad, but was injured by a blow to the jaw by Anderson Varejao of Brazil. Nikos Zisis has come back strong from that 2006 game versus Brazil and today the 31 year old Greek combo-guard did what he does best, play both guard spots and stick the 3 point shot, as he led Greece with 19 points in 25 minutes, on 7-9 FG, 4-5 from 3 point land, 1-2 FT and he got help in the backcourt by Greek American NBA PG Nick Calathes with 14 points, while NBA SF Giannis Antetokounmpo added 15 points off the bench and Ioannis Bourousis played the center spot and had 12 points, 8 rebounds and 6 assists. Greece go to 3-0 and Puerto Rico drop to 0-3, as they were hurt by Carlos Arroyo being out with a sprained ankle, as Puerto Rico was led by former NBA SF Renaldo Balkman with 23 points and was followed by NBA PG J.J Barea with 21 points.
- SENEGAL HUGE UPSET VS CROATIA GORGUI DIENG 27 PTS BOTH TEAMS AT 2-1
3. Senegal 77 Croatia 75 - Gorgui Dieng (27 PT) Dario Saric, Bojan Bogdanovic (15 PT)
- Gorgui Dieng - Twolves - 27(PT)40(M)8-14(FG)11-12(FT)8(R)3(A)2(BK)4(TO)1(S)4(F)
- Dario Saric - 76ers - 15(PT)28(M)6-9(FG)0-2(3PT)3-3(FT)6(R)4(A)3(S)3(F)1(TO)
- Bojan Bogdanovic - Nets - 15(PT)31(M)5-14(FG)1-7(3PT)4-8(FT)3(R)1(A)3(F)2(TO)
- CROATIA GO AMERICAN PG - ONLY 7 MINUTES FOR MARIO HEZONJA VS SENEGAL
4. Serbia 83 Iran 70 - Nemanja Bjelica (18 PT, 10 R) Hamed Haddadi (29 PT)
5. Argentina 85 Philippines 81 - Luis Scola (19 PT) Randiel de Ocampo (15 PT)
6. France 94 Egypt 55 - Joffrey Lauvergne (12 PT) Ibrahim Elgammal (12 PT)
- FIBA WORLD CUP - DAY TWO RESULTS - AUG. 31st - TOP 5 PLAYS
- TURKEY UP 40-35 AT HALF BUT 28 TO's VS USA NBA STARS TOO MANY IN LOSS
1. USA 98 Turkey 77 - After a 59 point win versus Finland, team USA was confident going into game two versus Turkey, but the NBA stars were down 40-35 at the half, as the Turkish guards were not in a DAZE like the team from Finland that were down 60-18 at the half in game one. The Turkish guards play at a higher level of basketball in Europe, than the Finland team does, other than Petteri Koponen and it helped Turkey lead by five points over USA at the half, but the TO's were still high for Turkey and in the end the Turkish guards and the entire Turkish team got sloppy with the ball ending with 28 TO's versus USA in the 21 point loss and the TO's were almost the 31 total that Finland had. In the only loss that Coach K and his NBA stars ever had against Greece in 2006, the Greek PG's of Theo Papaloukas, Vassilis Spanoulis and Dimitris Diamantidis had 18 assists and only 3 TO's and the entire Greek squad only had 11 TO's in the 101-95 semis win and unless teams can slow the tempo down and not throw the ball away, then Spain is the only team that has 2006 Greek guard ability to beat this 2014 team USA in the Gold medal game, if Spain can get by a tougher teams in their bracket. USA only threw the ball away 12 times and were led by their bigs Kenneth Faried and his ENERGY with 22 points, on 11-14 FG in 28 minutes, 8 rebounds and Anthony Davis followed with 19 points, while DeMarcus Cousins added 11 points on the inside and Kyrie Irving led the perimeter with 13 points, Turkey was led by SF Cenk Akyol with 12 points and was followed by Sinan Guler, Oguz Savas and Emir Preldzic with 9 points apiece.
- CROATIA GO 2-0 K. SIMON 18 PTS LEADS BUT 33 SHOTS FROM 3 IS TOO MANY
2. Croatia 90 Argentina 85 - Krunoslav Simon (18 PT) Luis Scola (30 PT)
- 76ers - Dario Saric - 16(PT)25(M)5-12(FG)2-6(3PT)4-5(FT)9(R)1(A)4(F)1(TO)
- Nets - Bojan Bogdanovic - 16(PT)37(M)6-11(FG)3-6(3PT)1-2(FT)7(R)2(A)4(F)1(TO)
- HOME SQUAD SPAIN 2-0 SERGE IBAKA & RUDY FERNANDEZ 32 PT COMB.
3. Spain 91 Egypt 54 - Serge Ibaka (18 PT) Ibrahim Elgammal (16 PT)
4. Dominican Rep. 73 N. Zealand 63 - Francisco Garcia (29 PT) Thomas Abercrombie (22 PT)
5. Australia 89 Korea 55 - Joe Ingles (17 PT) Sunhyung Kim (13 PT)
6. France 74 Serbia 73 - Joffrey Lauvergne (19 PT) Miroslav Radulija (21 PT)
- DRAGIC BROTHERS (ZORAN & GORAN) 40 PTS COMB. SLOVENIA GO 2-0
7. Slovenia 89 Mexico 68 - Zoran Dragic (22 PT) Gustavo Ayon (23 PT)
8. Finland 81 Ukraine 76 - Shawn Huff (23 PT) Pooh Jeter (24 PT)
- BRAZIL GO 2-0 ALEX GARCIA & LEANDRO BARBOSA 23 PTS COMBINED
9. Brazil 79 Iran 50 - Alex Garcia (12 PT) M Jamsgidi (13 PT)
10. Senegal 82 Puerto Rico 75 - Mouhammad Faye (20 PT) Renaldo Balkman (21 PT)
- GREECE GO 2-0 GEORGIOS PRINTEZIS & IOANNIS BOUROUSIS 37 PT COMB.
11. Greece 82 Philippines 70 - Georgios Printezis (25 PT) Andray Blatche (21 PT, 14 R)
- LITHUANIA GO 2-0 D. MOTIEJUNAS & JONAS VALANCIUNAS 23 PTS COMB.
12. Lithuania 75 Angola 62 - Donatas Motiejunas (12 PT) E Mingas (15 PT)
- FIBA WORLD CUP - DAY ONE RESULTS - AUG. 30th - TOP 5 PLAYS
- USA PUTS ON A SHOW IN 59 POINT WIN VS FINLAND - 31 TO's BY FINLAND
1. USA 114 Finland 55 - The NBA stars on team USA must have heard the NBA.COM Hang Time Blog Podcast where John Dimopoulos @EUROJOHNBBALL picked Spain as the favorite to win the Gold medal on their home soil versus USA in the title game on September 14th, because team USA was on a mission to shut up John Dimopoulos and any other guys that have BBALL sites picking against this younger version of team USA. Yes team USA was looking real good in this 59 point win, but the team from Finland must not of heard that same Podcast, where John Dimopoulos said the only way teams have a shot at beating the NBA stars of USA, was to keep the TO's down like the Greek PG's did in the last loss for USA in 2006, when Papaloukas, Spanoulis and Diamantidis had 18 assists and only 3 TO's. Finland looked like a boxer going into a match getting ready to fight a young Mike Tyson, already defeated like most of the Tyson opponents in the 1980's, as Finland threw the ball away 31 times and the highlight show of team USA was on. John Dimopoulos also said that Spain has the guards that can play like the 2006 Greek team guards and USA will probably not be tested until the knockout round. Klay Thompson led USA with 18 points and Anthony Davis followed with 17 points, with the only flaw to the USA game versus Finland being the 6-18 night from 3 point land. Finland was led by Peterri Koponen and Shawn Huff with 12 points apiece.
2. Spain 90 Iran 60 - @EUROJOHNBBALL & John Dimopoulos said in the Sekou Smith Podcast that their was no reason for Pau Gasol to play in this FIBA World Cup, if he was not confident he would win the Gold medal with Spain and in game one today, Pau Gasol showed why he is still the most skilled Center in the world scoring 33 points in 29 minutes, on 12-20 FG, 9-10 FT, 8 rebounds, 3 blocked shots in a 30 point win versus Iran. Pau got help from his brother Marc Gasol with 15 points, 10 rebounds, while Rudy Fernandez added 12 points and Juan Carlos Navarro had 10 points. Serge Ibaka did not play because of a tight hamstring and Iran was led by PG Mahdi Kamrani with 18 points, while Center Hamed Haddadi added 16 points, 15 rebounds.
3. Greece 87 Senegal 64 - Kostas Kaimakoglou (20 PT) Gorgui Dieng (21 PT, 14 R)
4. Lithuania 87 Mexico 74 - Jonas Maciulis (19 PT) Francisco Cruz (21 PT)
5. Argentina 98 Puerto Rico 75 - Luis Scola (20 PT) J.J Barea (24 PT)
6. Croatia 81 Philippines 78 OT - Bojan Bogdanovic (26 PT) Andray Blatche (28 PT, 12 R)
7. Slovenia 90 Australia 80 - Goran Dragic (21 PT) Aron Baynes (21 PT)
8. Brazil 65 France 63 - Marcelinho Huertas (16 PT) Boris Diaw (15 PT)
9. Serbia 85 Egypt 64 - Milos Teodosic (15 PT) I Elgammal (12 PT)
10. Angola 80 Korea 69 - O Cipriano, Y Moreira (16 PT) S Kim (15 PT)
11. Turkey 76 New Zealand 73 - Oguz Savas (15 PT) Corey Webster (22 PT)
12. Ukraine 72 Dominican Rep. 62 - Pooh Jeter (16 PT) Francisco Garcia (18 PT)