- FIBA WORLD CUP RESULTS & PREDICTIONS & NBA.COM PODCAST EPISODE 172
- KEY SUMMER TRANSACTIONS - EUROPEAN LEAGUES FOR 2014-15 SEASON
- DOMESTIC LEAGUES 2013-14 CHAMPIONS
- OCT. 11th - SPURS PLAY VET TRIO BIG MINUTES - SPURS 96 FENERBAHCE 90
- ZELJKO OBRADOVIC 8 EUROLEAGUE TITLES VS GREGG POPOVICH 5 NBA RINGS
- OCT. 11th - FENERBAHCE DEEPER THAN ALBA BERLIN WILL FACE NBA SPURS
- FENERBAHCE HAS TEN PLAYERS THAT COULD PLAY IN NBA ON 2014-15 ROSTER
- PANATHINAIKOS DEFEAT OLYMPIACOS IN GREEK CUP ON LATE SECOND DUNK
1. Panathinaikos 77 Olympiacos 76 - In what is the biggest rivalry in all of European basketball, two European basketball powers played in an empty OAKA building, due to past incidents, that would make most USA sports events look like a Golf or Tennis type of crowd, compared to what Panathinaikos and Olympiacos players had to go through, DODGING and DARTING Flares and small metal objects in past Greek Cup games and Greek A1 championship games and due to the past events, the fans missed a great Greek Cup game.
Olympiacos was up 70-60 with five minutes left, but Dimitris Diamantidis came up clutch again, sticking a top of the key 3 pointer, to tie the game up at 75-75, then after Kostas Sloukas hit a FT to put Olympiacos up 76-75, with six seconds left, Diamantidis found new Center Esteban Batista open for a dunk to win the game for Panathinaikos, as Olympiacos could not get revenge for the Greek Finals from last year and though 32 year old Vassilis Spanoulis had the summer off from the Greek national team, it was again the 34 year old Diamantidis who came up big, to again bring up the question, who is the best European PG of the last decade in Europe.
Panathinaikos got a big game from Greek combo-guard Nikos Pappas with 19 points and was followed by Esteban Batista with 12 points, SF Vladimir Jankovic added 11 points, while Diamantidis had 8 points, 5 assists. Olympiacos was led by SG Matt Lojeski with 16 points, PF Georgios Printezis had 13 points, while Vassilis Spanoulis added 12 points. FULL GAME BOX SCORE
- OCT. 8th - TIMOFEY MOZGOV 20 PTS VS OKC 8-8 FG's
- KOSTAS PAPANIKOLAOU HITS GAME WINNING FT's FOR HOUSTON - 12 PTS
- HOUSTON USE DONATAS MOTIEJUNAS IN THE POST 111-108 WIN
- OCT. 7th - D. MOTIEJUNAS 18 PTS - 7-11 FG - 0-0(3PT) - BETTER LOW POST GUY
- OCT. 7th - NETS 111 MACCABI TEL AVIV 94
- ALBA BERLIN UPSET NBA CHAMPION SPURS AT THE BUZZER IN GERMANY
1. ALBA Berlin 94 Spurs 93 - EUROJOHNBBALL wrote a piece last season, that the top five teams in the Euroleague had a shot of winning the weak Atlantic division in the Eastern conference of the NBA, but most who cover the NBA, brushed the thought off as ridiculous. The top five teams with enough depth in the Euroleague to think of winning the Atlantic division in the 2013-14 season, were Real Madrid, Olympiacos, Fenerbahce, FC Barcelona and CSKA Moscow, Greek power Panathinaikos could also compete at an NBA level, but today ALBA Berlin, who sort of reminds of the 2013-2014 Maccabi Tel Aviv Euroleague championship squad that got hot at the right time and upset Real Madrid and CSKA Moscow in one and done knockout games to win the title, upset the NBA champion San Antonio Spurs with a 94-93 win. ALBA Berlin does not have the depth of the other Euroleague squads, or big name European player, but today versus the Spurs, they showed some Euroleague teams can hang with NBA squads. This was the eleventh time a Euroleague team beat an NBA team in the Euroleague versus NBA preseason battle.
Former Xavier PF Jamel McLean was the hero for ALBA, hitting a 16 foot tear drop floater to win the game, as he led ALBA with 18 points, 10 rebounds, on 6-9 FG, 6-7 FT and was followed by former Clemson PG Cliff Hammonds with 15 points and former Belmont University PG Alex Renfroe with 15 points, while former Villanova SG Reggie Redding added 12 points and Croatian center Leon Radosevic 5 poits, 8 rebounds and Croatian PF Marko Banic 6 points in the win.
To be fair to the Spurs, this was their first preseason game, while ALBA has stronger legs, already playing two games in German BBL regular season, as the Spurs were led by PG Tony Parker with 28 points in 35 minutes, on 8-13 FG, 1-3(3PT), 11-13 FT and was followed by Tim Duncan and Kawhi Leonard with 14 points apiece, but this was the ALBA Berlin SUPER BOWL and the American players, that did not get drafted to the NBA, but make no mistake, the Spurs were trying to win this game, but as shown ten other times in the past decade, NBA and Euroleague teams are closer than NBA media and fans give them credit for, the top five Euroleague teams could compete at an NBA level every year, as this ALBA Berlin squad showed, that is not even close to a top five Euroleague squad this season.
- PAST EUROLEAGUE TEAM WINS VS NBA TEAMS
1. Maccabi Tel Aviv 105 Toronto Raptors 103 - 2005
2. FC Barcelona 104 Philadelphia 76ers 99 - 2006
3. CSKA Moscow 94 LA Clippers 75 - 2006
4. Unicaja 102 Memphis Grizzlies 99 - 2007
5. Real Madrid 104 Toronto Raptors 103 - 2007
6. FC Barcelona 92 LA Lakers 88 - 2010
7. CSKA Moscow 90 Cleveland Cavs 87 - 2010
8. Fenerbahce 97 Boston Celtics 91 - 2012
9. FC Barcelona 99 Dallas Mavs 85 - 2013
10. CSKA Moscow 108 Minnesota Twolves 106 - 2013